Dr. Elisabetta Rossi
The IRCCS Istituto Oncologico Veneto (Veneto Oncology Institute - IOV) was established in December 2005.
- The IOV participates in the Italian network of Cancer Institutes (Alliance Against Cancer)
- Since January 2009 is a member of the Organization of European Cancer Centers (OECI).
The IOV stems from a long tradition of excellence in Oncology, which was first recognized in 1989 by the establishment of the Regional Oncology Centre (COR) in Padova. The activity of COR was mainly devoted to fostering interaction between epidemiologists, clinicians and basic researchers in the field of Oncology, to create a needed multidisciplinary approach to face the new frontier of information on cancer genetics and biology. This strict collaboration among professionals involved in different areas of Oncology anticipated the modern concept of “translational medicine”, now considered a strategic field within evidence-based medicine.
Moreover, the IOV is a true Comprehensive Cancer Centre, since it integrates in its mission
- clinical activity
- offers preventive, curative and palliative services to the population;
- it combines this fundamental mission with a constant research activity on several different aspects of cancer;
- as well as maintaining a special commitment to educational issues, in strict collaboration with the Faculty of Medicine of the Padova University.
Regarding the Main Tasks planned for the IOV in the Proposal, the CTC Laboratory of the IOV-IRCCS has acquired experience in CTC investigation for clinical purposes.
By exploiting the automated CellSearch platform, the M30-integrated CTC assay and the gamma-H2AX-integrated assay were developed for quantifying changes of apoptotic CTCs under treatment. These integrated CTC assays are now included into multicenter clinical trials, coordinated by IOV-IRCCS.
The research laboratory of IOV is equipped with the most advanced facilities for cellular/molecular investigations such as:
- qualitative and quantitative PCR
- sequential DNA analysis
- Affymetrix platform
- flow cytometry and cell sorting
- laser micro dissection
- confocal microscopy
- CellSearch platform
- animal facility under SPF conditions